Build Your Own, Custom, Playable Electric Guitar*
Starting Aug 11 at Fab Lab ICC.
*No experience building or playing necessary.
From the earliest known public mention of an electrically enhanced guitar, appearing in Wichita, Kansas in October of 1932, to the news in 1940, that Les Paul created "The Log," a guitar whose strings and pickups were mounted on a guitar body carved from a solid block of wood, electric guitars have captivated every generation since.
Over the years the great artists like Les Paul, Duane Eddy, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Slash, Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen have attracted legions of followers.
Imagine the exhilaration experienced by Les Paul when he plugged in "The Log" and heard the sounds for the first time. You can experience the same exhilaration at Fab Lab ICC, by the end of the semester!
Build and keep a real, custom, playable electric guitar. No experience necessary and you don't have to know how to play. We'll provide a kit that includes everything you need.
In this class, you will learn:
- Basic woodworking and wood finishing techniques
- How electric guitars work
- How guitar components are made
- Guitar assembly and intonation
The class takes place at Fab Lab ICC on Wednesdays from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM starting Aug 11 through Dec 8, 2021.
This class is available either with or without college credit.
- Non-credit, $165 (register below)
- Save $15 - register by July 31.
- Credit, $490.00 - $510.00 depending where you live.
For Northern Montgomery County residents, $330
Guitar kits can be purchased when registering for this class, see options below and select the kit you want during the registration process.
- Economy S-style electric guitar Kit, right-handed: $207.68
- Standard Stratocaster-style, 6-string electric guitar kit, paint-grade wooden body. This kit contains all the hardware and components necessary to build a fine, playable instrument. Guitar building and finishing tools will be provided during the class.
- Economy S-style electric guitar kit, left-handed: $207.68
- Standard Stratocaster-style, 6-string electric guitar kit, paint-grade wooden body. PLEASE NOTE: many left-handed people play a RIGHT-HANDED guitar. If you do not have experience playing guitar, a right-handed instrument will most likely suit your needs.
- Economy J-style electric bass kit, right-handed: $266.24
- 4-string Jazz style electric bass kit, paint-grade wooden body
- Economy T-style electric guitar kit, right-handed: $207.68
- Telecaster-style, 6-string electric guitar kit, paint-grade wooden body.
- Deluxe S-style electric guitar kit, right-handed, Quilted maple veneer: $239.61
- Same as Standard kit, with quilted maple veneer on the body. Ideal for staining.
- Deluxe S-style electric guitar kit, right-handed, Spalted maple veneer: $239.61
- Same as Standard kit, with spalted maple veneer on the body. Ideal for staining.
*Guitar kit prices include applicable Kansas sales tax.*
Six-string electric guitar kit:
- We have a wide selection of guitar kits available for sale that were chosen to work well in this class. You can see what’s available on your registration form and purchase them at the time of your registration if you’d like. If you’d like to see the kit before purchasing, feel free to come to the Lab during our open hours. Some class participants elect to purchase their own kits. In the past, we’ve sometimes found that these self-purchased kits have required skills and/or tools beyond those available in the class. If you wish to purchase your own kit, please contact instructor, Steve Reid at 620-779-5027 or email, email@example.com.
If you choose non-credit, the course and kit fees are payable to Fab Lab ICC on or before the first night of class.
If you choose college credit, the course fee is payable per college policy and the kit fee is payable to Fab Lab ICC on or before the first night of class